Seeking Guest Editor(s), Translator(s), and Proofreader(s) for Middle Eastern SF Special Issue of the MOSF Journal of Science Fiction
As the MOSF Journal of Science Fiction continues in our endeavor to highlight and generate discourse around diverse science fiction narratives, we’ve begun to look for ways of expanding our global readership. With that in mind, the Editorial Board has suggested a special issue on Middle Eastern Science Fiction for our winter issue, due for publication around November 2020. To do such an endeavor justice, we would like to release the project as our first dual-language issue, published in both English and in Arabic.
Although our editorial team has become increasingly diverse over the years, as of yet, we do not have any editors with sufficiently deep knowledge of Middle Eastern/Arabic SF to complete such a project. So, in order to publish this issue, we are seeking a qualified quest editor (or guest editors) interested in taking the helm in the selection and editing of manuscripts for publication.
As a guest editor, your responsibilities would include:
- Suggesting knowledgeable peer reviewers for submissions received
- Aiding in the selection of submissions for publication
- Personally editing at least two accepted submissions for publication
- Overseeing copyeditors and proofreaders in the final stages of pre-production
- Proofreading the full issue for errors after Arabic translation, before publication
- Guest editors will also have flexibility in suggesting/soliciting reflection pieces, book reviews, and artwork relevant to the special issue
- Advanced reading skills in Arabic
- Minimum advanced graduate-level familiarity with Middle Eastern/Arabic Science Fiction authors, texts, tropes, and trends required
- Minimum 2 years’ experience as an editor for a peer-reviewed publication (preference will be given to candidates with experience at peer-reviewed humanities journals, but all candidates with peer-reviewed editorial experience will be considered)
- Previous guest editing experience preferred but not required
To apply, please send the following materials to email@example.com by June 1st, 2020:
- Writing sample (10-15 pages); candidates may submit excerpts of longer works
- Cover Letter
- Explain academic and/or professional editorial qualifications
- Explain knowledgeability about Middle Eastern/Arabic science fiction
- Affirm competency in Arabic Reading
- Explain interest in position
The selected guest editor(s) will be notified by June 10th, 2020
We are also seeking volunteer Arabic translators and copyeditors interested in assuring accuracy in the final product. If interested, please send a CV and an example of your translation work to the above email address.